Friday, January 22, 2016

Writing with Purpose.

When I was a student, both early on and throughout college, I dreamed of being a writer.  I used to spend weekends writing short stories for my mom to read, and she always told me I was a great writer, to keep it up.  Her praise was knocked down by mediocre reviews by college professors and rejection letters from magazines I approached with my short stories from my writing classes.  Looking back, the thing I am certain was missing from my writing was purpose.  I wrote just to write, but not to really tell a story or to inspire a feeling or make a change in even one person.  When I think about my favorite authors, all of their stories make me feel something - a longing for an adventure, a need for romance or to travel, a desire to move or make a change in my life, a desperation I never knew I had.  I want my written word to do the same, even if only for one person.

I need to create.  I need to make something during my short time on this earth, not with my body, but with my mind and my hands.  My proudest "creation" to date is my son.  I believe that raising my son to be an honest, hard working, contributing member of society could result in the change I am hoping to make on the world in my time here, but I also want to change someone's life.  And I mean in an inspirational, motivational, hopeful way.  I believe I have caused some positive change in the lives of at least some people who I have met and mentored during my time in Junior League.  But I do not want to stop there.  And I should not have to.  I will not.  So, my first step in reaching my goal of touching at least ONE life with my written word is to think of topics or issues with a purpose.  So that is what I am going to do.  One day at a time.

3 comments:

  1. Love the honesty.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love what you said! and i so relate on the need to create!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete